Saturday, November 5, 2011

November 4, 2011 Friday Jeykll Island, Ga to Ft George River


I am returning to the original format for the posts to see if you can make a comment without signing in.

The weather has been cold in the mornings and cool when the sun doesn't shine. The wind has been above average in knots and the cold front seems to be hanging on!

Leaving Jekyll Island was a little frustrating since the St Andrews Sound was very rough with the wind opposing the tide which created waves to be concerned about coming in from the ocean! I turned at Red 2 instead of traveling a little further and turning at Red 32. I went about a mile and quickly came to my senses. When the channel has large numbers on the buoys like 32 and you see a number 1 or 2 then the 1 or 2 means a channel leading off the ICW. I thought to myself that I really need to check the Coast Guard's Notice to Mariners for buoy number changes. Then as I thought about it and returned to my large Map Tech chart it was very clear the mistake I made. Feeling a little embarased I quickly turned Fiu around and of course first Mate Bonnie (resting down below) shouted up to me, "Are we lost?" "No," I said, "It's just that I haven't turned to the left yet today!"

Some of the bodies of water and places we were at today included: Cumberland River, Little Cumberland Island, Amelia River, Amelia Island, Massau Sound, Black Hammock Island and eventually Ft George River anchorage between G3and G5. We had great anchor holding despite the constant 15- 25 knot winds that blew all night!

Once again for the third time passing this area we saw many dolphins at Gunnison Cut.

Captain Sid

No comments: